Thursday 7 September 2017

Music Video Research 5: Foo Fighters - The Pretender Edited

Genre: Rock
Style: Performance

Conventions according to Goodwin: The artist is making eye contact with the camera which is addressing the audience and is creating a personal relationship with the audience when referring to Blumler and Katz and close ups are imperative in a promotional music video as they provide fans with close ups of their idols that they want to see, with the video being performance based it also gives fans the feel they are receiving a gig experience when they see the artists playing their instruments.

It is clear to see there is hierarchy in the band as Dave Grohl, the male pictured above walks out first, this instantly lets the audience know he is the main member of the band as he is the first member you see. He is also aimed to stand out as not only the main character, but also a tough, stereotypical male as the camera aims to show his tattoos and the bandage on his wrist whilst he is gripping the microphone aggressively.

The rest of the band then enter and it is evident that Dave Grohl is intended to stand out as the rest of the band are wearing black whilst Dave Grohl is wearing white and whilst the lyrics say "What if I say I'm not like the others" it is clear to see the lyrics are synonymous to the happenings on the screen.




The theme of Dave Grohl looking like an alpha male continues when you see Dave Grohl confronting several riot guards who are most notably wearing black which also once again enhances the theory that he is intended to stand out, though this music video doesn't seem to have a main concept I think it holds a theme of do not back down to be different and sometimes you have to be confrontational to stand up for your beliefs. I also think that the huge stampede of riot guard makes reference to the lyrics as they say "What if I say I'm not like the others" I believe the riot guards are "the others" the director has not only used quantity to make this point stand out but also uses contrasting colours showing their huge differences and how "the others" are out to get Dave Grohl.


I also feel the red background could be making reference to semiotics, I believe the red background could represent anger that is constantly in the back of Dave Grohl's (the frontman) head, I also feel this makes reference to anger due to the aggressive style the band carry throughout the video combining with the red that symbolises danger/anger.









  • This has influenced my research and planning as I like the use of of colours in this video, they seem to represent segregation.
  • I also the scale of the room is good, I like how such a large empty room is used and is made effective with the colours once again representing segregation.

1 comment:

Note to Moderator

Dear Moderator, Welcome to my A2 G325 blog, I have tried my hardest to portray my journey from my initial ideas to the creation of my musi...